I started blogging in the summer of 2012 to try to find my community of word lovers while still living in Los Angeles. If you’ve seen that episode of ‘How I Met Your Mother’ where the group goes to a posh literary party and Ted is in absolute heaven, while his friends are making poo jokes in the corner, that was me. I was the Ted of the friend group.
The blog has taken on many forms, and will 100% continue to change and develop as the blog is a reflection of myself. It is my soul splayed across your computer screen, but as one my favorite quotes says, “nothing but vulnerable.” Ever since I was a child, I have been unable to lie to the blank piece of paper. Paper is by far the most nonjudgmental and welcoming medium I have ever spoken with. It keeps all of your secrets to the point where you actually wish it could call your Mom if you used certain words… oh wait, thank you technology! that exists. Now we have the internet, and it does not keep your secrets… but I still can’t lie. #sorrynotsorry
Anyhoozies, here’s a list of topics you’ll find on the site:
- Poetry: I’ve published a few poems on Literary Pixie, there mostly funny or sexual as those are the ones I feel most comfortable to share at present.
- Feminism: I have only recently come out as a feminist. I’ve always been a feminist, but I never thought I had to tell people I was for it to be true. Another quote I live by, “Don’t label yourself, it limits what you can do.” However, feminist is a proud label, non-label as everyone has a different definition of feminism. Feminism means to me: Everyone has different opinions, different problems and different dreams, yet they are all equal in importance. All of my blog posts will center around this concept, as well as what is going on in the feminism community.
- Travel: I love traveling! I love waking up in the morning and having no clue what my day will be like, and imagining all the surprises of that day. I’m also a huge foodieeeee. These are just recommendations would like to share with you for you to consider when planning your own trips.
- Interviews: I find interviews incredibly vulnerable and exciting. For a certain period of time, you can ask someone any question and they will most likely try to respond! Oh the places your conversation could go. And mine have been to a fair few places. The people I interview are people I consider role models.
- Guest Posts: A few of my friends have written brilliant guest posts for Literary Pixie! I’m looking for more– so email me if keen. email@example.com.
- Beat Studies: Yes, this girl is a Beat Studies Scholar and member of the European Beat Studies Network. I created a 45 minute documentary on the importance of “Howl” by Allen Ginsberg and presented it at the Beat Studies Conference in Vienna 2018. It was one of the proudest moments of my life, but also I fucking love the Beats and the community surrounding them. It’s a philosophy about living, man.
- Reviews: Everyone needs feedback, everyone needs to know that someone was actually listening! I’ll be mostly reviewing books, events, film, music, song lyrics, restaurants, theatre, comedy, experiences … you name it, I’ll reflect.
- Advice: If I’ve lived it, and I’ve learned something useful, I’ll try to share it with you. One of my flatmates told me, “If you think it might help someone, then share it. You never know.” So I’ll be taking that approach with advice, as well as all my other posts.
- Quotes: A rolling list of inspiring quotes that I collect along my word journey!
- Sammy Says: I started this column at uni, and turns out, it’s staying! The name is a reference to the column Woody Sez, as series written by Woody Guthrie – the folk singer most famous for writing, “This Land is Your Land.”
- Toilets: I fucking love toilets. They are the great equalizer. I launched the magazine the Feminist Toilet for this very reason. Looking for submissions… send em over!
- Events: There are so many events all over the world, a lot of them are even free. All you have to do is show up and have a good time.
Hope you’ll enjoy the posts, and hope to read your posts as well!